Monday 24 February 2014

Character Final

I created a 3D model of my character, using chicken wire, mod rock, wire, different shades of green, and yellow, black paint, bamboo sticks, bottle lids, polystyrene boards, and foiled tin chinese paackage boxes.  I found it challenging as I created my model larger than I expected.  However, I feel that it looks funky.

The Stages:
Once I created the shape of the character out of chicken wire and regular wire, I used mod rock and water to create a base. I waited until it was hard an dry, ready to add paint. I found it relatively easy, however the model that I created was pretty large, therefore I had to use a lot to make the base easier to work on. This meant that it took longer to dry, making it more time consuming. I feel that if I repeated this stage,  I would made the model smaller, then it would be more easier to create, and add materials. I feel that by creating more layers of mod rock onto the model, I would have created a more sturdy base, making it stronger. 

I started adding green paint to the head and the rest of the body of the character. I used up a lot of paint as I created a large model, which again was time consuming. 



I used polystyrene plates to cut out triangle shapes, and painted them black to create spikes for he tail. I feel that by using this material, the spikes were sturdy, making the model easy to construct, and able to move around without breaking any areas. If I was to repeat this stage, I would paint the polystyrene boards black first, let it dry, then cut out the triangles as I found it hard to paint them while holding them with my fingers.  

I used wire and the Chinese tins to create a mouth for my character. I drilled holes in the model,  and created a loop in the wire to hook the wire through. I found this pretty difficult as it was hard to guide the wire to the holes through the chicken wire, as it kept getting caught. Therefore, if I was to repeat this idea a second time, I would add the wire through the holes first, making sure that I don't get it glued with the mod rock, ready for the attachment of the mouth.

I created a tongue, by using a long tissue roll, glue and red paint. I was pretty happy with this as it gave the model some character, making it seem fun. It was pretty easy to build as I used a strong glue to hold it together. 

The finished model
Evaluation: I feel really happy with the finished character model as it looks fun and exciting. The colours that I used linked to the name of the Eco Farm - The Green Dragon, as it gives it an identity. The colour green can also be known as a 'happy colour', making the younger audience seem happier, and more relaxed. However, I do feel that the character is a little scary for the younger children, especially the mouth as it looks like it's about to eat them. I am happy with the materials that I used, as they are recycled, meaning they are easy to collect. They were fun to use, and showed the dragon like features easily. 

The final images:




No comments:

Post a Comment